It’s tough to top the feeling of hopping in a steaming hot shower on a brisk winter morning, and it’s all possible thanks to your water heater! Water heaters inevitably make our lives easier and more comfortable, but like every appliance in your home, your water heater requires maintenance, and it won’t last forever. Continue reading to learn why you need to service your water heater in Raleigh, NC.
Water heater maintenance
There are a couple different types of water heaters on the market. Regardless of the kind of water heater you have at your home, you’ll need to perform these basic steps to avoid water heater repair in Raleigh, NC:
- Schedule professional maintenance: The best piece of advice we have is to hire a pro at least once a year to inspect your water heater and make any necessary adjustments. A yearly tune-up ensures proper functionality and can help reduce your energy costs.
- Clean: A clean water heater is a more functional one. It should be cleaned or flushed out every six months to remove sediment and built-up mineral scale. This simple step can add several years to its lifespan.
- Adjust the temperature: Cranking your water heater to the highest temperature ensures you get the hottest shower possible. However, that puts a ton of strain on your water heater. Instead, lower the temperature a little bit to reduce stress on components and prolong the unit’s lifespan.
Is it time for a new water heater?
Even if you follow all of the recommended maintenance practices, your water heater still won’t last forever. The first thing you’ll notice if your water heater is going out is a lack of hot water. The water pressure may also drop when the hot water is running if your water heater is on its way out. Additionally, you may hear some odd noises while the hot water is on.
The different types of water heaters
As with most home appliances, there are a few things you’ll want to consider when shopping for a new water heater. Here’s a little bit of information on each type of water heater and how to choose the best water heater in Raleigh, NC:
- Conventional: A conventional storage tank water heater has a tank that holds hot water. The tank is insulated and holds hot water until the water is needed. With proper maintenance, these water heaters can last for up to 12 years.
- Tankless: As its name suggests, a tankless water heater doesn’t have a tank. Instead, it has super-heated coils that heat the water as soon as you need it. These units last for 10 years and can be more energy efficient for homes that run on gas.
- Heat pump: A heat pump uses heat in the air and ground to heat the water. Since there isn’t any electricity being used to actually heat the water—only to pump it—these units can save up to 60 percent on a home’s electricity bill.
We can handle all of your water heater needs!
Whether you have a brand-new water heater or an old one that’s on its last leg, hire the pros at Affordable Plumbing Call Us 1st, Inc. Give us a call today to learn all about what happens during water heater repair in Raleigh, NC.