Do you have a plan if the toilet overflows? What about if the water heater were to go out unexpectedly? You need a plumber, and fast, in any of these situations. Unfortunately, not all plumbers are going to be the right choice for the job. Asking the right questions is key to identifying a plumber with quality workmanship and years of hands-on experience. Hiring the wrong plumber could leave you stuck with a multitude of new plumbing problems and thousands of dollars’ worth of needed repairs.
Ask these five important questions before the work begins to find the best plumbers in Raleigh, NC:
- Are you licensed? This should always be the first question you ask, as it will weed out any plumbers whose work won’t pass inspection. A license means the plumber is registered with the local governing body. Because of this, licensed plumbers are held to a higher standard, as they know their license could be revoked for shoddy work or unethical business practices. Don’t hesitate to verify a provided license number.
- Who will be doing the work? Don’t fall for this old bait and switch. Some plumbing companies will have an experienced worker provide the estimate, while a less experienced plumber will actually be the one doing the work. Inquire about who will be completing the job and what qualifications they have before signing anything. Don’t hesitate to keep shopping if the answer is unsatisfactory.
- Are you insured and bonded? Never hire a plumber if the response to this question is anything but “yes.” You could find yourself legally responsible for any injuries to the contractor or damage to your home if something happens on the job. Simply asking this question will help you protect yourself. As a consumer, you have the right to call the insurance company to check that the coverage levels are what the company claims.
- What is the estimated total cost? A reputable plumbing company will be more than happy to provide a free estimate after inspecting the problem. The estimate should not only include the basic cost of materials, but also the hourly labor rate and a small contingency for any problems that may arise. This will help avoid any surprise expenses during the repair.
- Is that an hourly or fixed rate? Some plumbers provide a flat rate quote for labor that won’t change throughout the duration of the jobs. Others opt for an hourly rate plus the fixed cost of materials. Unfortunately, the second option forces homeowners to pay unexpected labor costs if the job runs longer than expected. Make sure you have a thorough understanding of the labor rate before signing the contract.
Hiring a plumber can seem like a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be when you turn to Affordable Plumbing Call Us 1st, Inc. Our team of expert plumbers in Raleigh, NC is ready to provide both commercial and residential plumbing repairs at the most competitive prices. Call us today to make an appointment!