The key to avoiding complete drain clogs is to take immediate action when you notice a problem. The longer you wait, the greater your need for emergency drain cleaning in Raleigh, NC. Here are seven telltale signs that indicate it’s time for drain cleaning:
- Extra slow draining: If you notice water draining more slowly than usual in any of your fixtures, you could have a clog on your hands. Water should flow down drains quickly and with ease. Take stock of your washing machine, shower drains and sinks every time they drain. Watch for sluggish or struggling drainage, as these are signs of possible buildup in the pipes. The good news is that slow draining means it’s not a full-blown clog just yet. Call a plumber for service.
- Standing water: A slow drain is a problem, but standing water in your shower, sinks or washing machine is a sign that your drainage issue has worsened. With any luck, it’s just hair blocking the drain. If not, it’s time to schedule a drain cleaning appointment.
- Mysterious odors: Most unusual odors in homes can be traced back to the plumbing system—namely, clogged drains. Unpleasant odors like those associated with sewer gases and waste coming into your house from inside clogged plumbing fixtures is not normal. You need to deal with this type of plumbing issue right away.
- Fruit flies present: These little bugs are typically attracted to fermented fruit. However, if you notice a sudden rise in the number of fruit flies in your home—especially in the kitchen—they are likely gravitating toward the smell of food waste building up in the drain. Run the cold water and garbage disposal often to clean the drain and pipes of food waste. If the fruit flies don’t go away, consider scheduling professional drain cleaning service.
- Strange noises: When a drain is clogged, you’ll likely hear all sorts of unusual noises as water moves through the pipes. Plumbing gets noisy because the water is having to pass through and redirect itself around small spaces inside the pipes. Of all the possible unusual noises, you don’t want to hear too much gurgling or bubbling when you flush the toilet or run a sink faucet.
- Frequent clogs: Some of the signs that your drains need cleaning are less obvious than others. Take frequent clogs, for example—if you repeatedly have to unclog the shower drain or toilet, there’s a good chance you will soon experience a major clog inside your home’s plumbing. A thorough professional inspection can identify and fix the issue.
- Multiple clogged drains: It’s not unusual for the toilet or shower drain to clog. Under normal circumstances, one clogged drain is merely a nuisance, but having multiple clogged drains is often a sign of a more serious issue. There could be a main sewer clog or damage to the lines connecting your home plumbing to the sewer.
Whether you need to schedule a routine plumbing check or an emergency drain cleaning in Raleigh, NC, you can count on the team at Affordable Plumbing Call Us 1st, Inc. to get the job done right. We’re available 24/7!