Clogged drains can be a pain to deal with, so it’s important to do as much as possible to prevent clogs from developing. While it’s normal for clogs to form in pipes and drains, it’s possible to minimize the risk of plumbing obstructions by following some simple care and maintenance steps. Keep your plumbing system and drains working reliably for years to come with the right preventative maintenance and help from local plumbers in Raleigh, NC.
Drain clog prevention and repair tips
Here are a few of the best tips to help you keep your drains clear of clogs and address existing obstructions in your drains:
- Watch what goes down the drain: One of the most important things you can do to protect your plumbing system is watch what goes down your drains. Avoid putting food scraps, coffee grounds, cooking oils or greasy substances down the drain, since these things can contribute to clogs and obstructions that block water flow. Even if you have a garbage disposal, it’s important to minimize the amount of food scraps that go down your drain.
- Use drain catchers: Hair can quickly clog tub and shower drains and prevent water from flowing the way it’s supposed to. Using drain catchers in showers and tubs will reduce the amount of hair that goes down your drain and prevent clogs from forming in your plumbing system. Remove your drain catchers regularly to clean them and keep them working effectively.
- Don’t flush trash: Lots of people flush cotton products, dental floss and other garbage down the drain. While this debris might seem like no big deal, it can cause huge problems over time. Even small objects, like short pieces of dental floss, can contribute to large drain obstructions. Don’t flush any trash down your toilet, no matter how small it is.
- Avoid harsh drain cleaners: While you might be tempted to use harsh chemical drain cleaners to combat clogs, it’s best to avoid these products. The strong chemicals contained in these formulations can cause damage to your drain, especially if you have an older plumbing system. Snakes and augers can be used to remove some clogs, but they aren’t effective on obstructions that are deeper in your plumbing system.
- Get professional plumbing service: Local plumbers in Raleigh, NC will be able to clear your drains safely and effectively. These professionals have access to better tools and products to clear away drain clogs and get your plumbing system working as smoothly as possible. Hiring a professional can save you a lot of time and energy on trying to handle repairs yourself.
Local plumbers in Raleigh, NC
If you’re looking for local plumbers in Raleigh, NC to help you with clogged drain repairs and other plumbing services, reach out to Affordable Plumbing Call Us 1st, Inc. We offer comprehensive plumbing services to commercial and residential customers alike. Our team will inspect your plumbing system, locate the source of clogs and clear obstructions to restore proper water flow. Give us a call for more information about our services and to request a quote today.